My very first Europe trip: Summer in Munich! (part 1)

Wow, it's a very long time no see. Me write a blog post, means that I have a job but don't want to do it. So, here I am.


Guess what? Alhamdulillah, this 32 y.o girl set foot in Europe for the first time!!! But, yeah, this girl is broke again after spending her saving. Does she regret it? Absolutely, no.

If I resume this Munich trip, one word fits to describe is hectic. So, I could go to Munich because I got the opportunity to attend a conference in Munich after submitting an abstract. Do you know? I had a consultation with a lecturer who mastered in statistic while I was in Japan. Then, right after I came back from my Japan trip, I had to finish that abstract and submit it to a conference in Munich. At that time, I couldn't imagine me in Munich. I was afraid. It is way too expensive. I only can go if I get the travel grant from the conference committee. The abstract and travel grant announcement were sent quite early. My abstract got accepted, but my travel grant application was not. Thus, I had to apply other travel grant to be able to go and fortunately, my application was granted! YAHOOO.

After dealing with the abstract and travel grant application, I had to deal with visa application. It was my mistake that I did not prepare visa application earlier. I did not imagine I will going to Europe. My knowledge about Europe is sooooo little. I called my friend in Brussels to get some help and many advices, from flight, hotel, public transportation, and visa. It was very helpful. But again, I did not proceed it right after I got the information. I had some works to do, and I am so bad at doing several things at the same time. When I finally started preparing my visa application, the deadline was so tight. At first, I want to apply the visa myself. As I got the information from my friend and I had studied it. I was pretty confidence. However, when I registered in the website and tried to log in and book the interview session, I did not receive the OTP. So, I could not log in to the website. I got panic and quickly decided to ask for travel agent help. At the end, I applied the visa through travel agent. The price is doubled and I had to go to Jakarta for the interview session.

It was a long weekend when I went to Jakarta to proceed my visa. As usual, I stayed and hang out with Nida. It was a great time. When I had the visa interview session, things went quite smooth, I think. Except, I had the interview at 10 and my train to Jogja was at 12.30. LOL. What a hectic schedule. The travel agent asked me several time.

Travel agent: Your train is at 12.30?

Me: Yes.

Travel agent: 12.30?

Me: Yes.

Travel agent: Oh, no.

I think, the interview, payment, and biometric finished at 11.40. We rushed to go outside. I tried to book a ride from Gojek but no one picked. I tried to book from Grab, found a driver, but unfortunately I entered the wrong pick up area and got canceled. Luckily, the travel agent helped me by booking a ride from a yellow app. He said that it is easier to get a driver from that app. He told the driver to arrive at train station in 15 minutes. Do you know what? I prayed along the ride to the train station. And, when we arrived, I had to cross the road to actually arrive at the train station. Of course, I was afraid to cross a road in Jakarta, alone. Luckily (again) there was a family who crossed the road, so I could follow them.

I could make it. I also could pray before getting on the train. Mission completed.

AND, my visa application was granted!!! And, only after 6 days!!! Not 15 days.


Okay, to make it shorter, let's skip to the D-day!

Of course it was a long journey. Starting in the morning. Me, my luggage, backpack, and sling bag. First, we took an airport train, then a sky train to the Terminal 3 international departure. Proceeded to the check-in counter and said bye to my luggage. This is my first time going to Singapore with Singapore airlines. Lesson learned: take the earphone at the door just before entering the plane.

I arrived at Changi around 14. My first destination was FairPrice. Let's go shopping!! I bought teh tarik, mie kari, and toast bread for my meals during my Munich stay. Originally, I want to watch the free movie just beside the FairPrice, but it was full. So, I just sat near the fountain, opened my laptop, and did some work. Work done, I went to Hub&Spoke. Spent 5 SGD to take a shower, not bad. Then, I had dinner at Heavenly Wang because there was a porridge with red bean menu. I ordered it because I like porridge, but the taste was bland. I added some pepper and it got better. After that, I went near the Gate to wait for my next flight. It was quite a lonely time.

Ah, a story I found it funny is, I brought two novels, TWO NOVELS, for me to read during my flights. Being too familiar with low-cost flights, I forgot that there are movies in the plane. So, yeah, I ended up watching movies and did not touch my novels at all. Movies I watched during SIN-MUC flight were Project Hail Mary and Love, Barista (Korean). Movies I watched during MUC-SIN flight were The Moon (Korean) and 5 centimeters per second (Japanese). Oh, I hate the last. Five centimeters per second. It was beautifully painful for me. Love, Barista is very light. And something very noticeable for me is the dialogue. Kwangsoo (male lead) dialogue is in Korean but Thao (female lead character) dialogue is in Vietnamese. They only speak English for simple conversation. When it gets complicated, they speak in their language and they understand. Wkwkwk.

And, the interesting part in my flight to Munich is I sat next to an artist, a painter!!! He has dreadlocks hair. His wife is from Munich but stays and works in Tangerang. He will have an exhibition in Salzburg. He said that time will past very quickly. And he was right. CRY. He mentioned he know someone who had a store in Munich, Nauli. And I proudly showed my google maps. I already saved that store, Nauli & stories. Recently, I just realize that I love travelling so much. Travelling is similar to research. Before travelling, we do a massive research. About places, foods, transportation, etc. When we actually go, we apply all information we gathered before. And after going home, just like what I do right know. I write my trip report.

But, I must admit that my Munich research is not as massive as my Japan research. So, there will be many lesson learned during the trip. Up to this point, I have not landed in Munich yet. LOL. For Muslim, don't forget to book Muslim meals several days before departure!


We landed in Munich in the morning. I went with my supervisor in the same flight from SIN to MUC. Immigration process went smooth. Now, we need to go to the city. THIS. My supervisor hotel and mine were different. But, I had checked the route. We just need to take one train, my supervisor can continue to go to her hotel by foot, and I continue my journey by tram. But, my supervisor just don't want to simply follow my lead. She want to take a bus. I had checked, if you take a bus, you need to change to another bus, train, or taxi. After some time, at the end, we decided to take a train. So, my supervisor mistook the train symbol in google maps as bus. She thinks it is a bus. But, it is a train. Here, we experienced our first train "delay". When doing the research, I knew that Germany train is famous for its delay. But, I only experienced one noticeable delay. This. On the first day.

Lesson learned: expect some delays, expect not so clean train station (around trash can. It is very likely the trash can is full), and expect no clear queue line before entering the train (but, people is not mad or something. Because there is no clear sign, where the train doors will be at. So, it depends on your luck. If you stand in front of the train doors, you can just enter). And, expect no gate or person or something to scan your ticket before entering any transportation modes (train, tram, bus).

The seats configuration inside the train is unique. Two rows, two seats and single seat, face-to-face. Enough places for our luggage. The view.... this is interesting. It just like in Indonesia! Green and traces of vandalism. It started to felt different when we were entering the city. And the underground stations are unique too. For example, Rosenheimer Platz is yellow, Isartor is green, and Marienplatz is orange!

After parting with my supervisor, it is the time for me to take a tram for the first time. This time, I am quite proud of myself. I was carefully check whether I was at the right tram stop or not. You know, one will take you to the north, and one will take you to the south. You get it right? Actually, when the tram is finally arrived, I was quite panic. Like, oh no, what to do. I took the front car and sat. The tram was not full, so, I think it was not a problem at all if I sat where I sat. (I just hope you understand what I am talking about)

I arrived at hotel, check in, and finally arrived at my room! The hotel was great :'

I need to unpack. THIS. I did not know where to start. But I must do it. I took a shower and ready to go again. I took the same tram to go back near my supervisor hotel. We will join a free walking tour.

I met my supervisor in a Søstrene Grene store. We had lunch in Downtown burger (halal). I had cheese burger because I love cheese burger. Then, we had our free walking tour! The tour guide name is Patrick, and he is from New Zealand! (if I am not mistaken). The tour was great!!! I highly recommend it. This is not the guide's fault, it's mine because I could not digest all information through the tour. What stayed with me until now,

1. Munich is English and München is Germany,

2. Munich always raining every Wednesday (and it happened during my stay!).

I had a mint chocolate gelato. We watched a Glockenspiel show at Marienplatz at the end of the tour. My supervisor and I went some shopping after that. I bought some coasters, keyring, tote bags, and a tea towel. We had juice and Caesar salad wrap for dinner. I am not sure about the chicken in the Caesar salad wrap, so, I took it home to eat at hotel. I left the chicken and ate the veggie and wrap. 


THIS.

My journey back to the hotel was embarrassing. I took the same tram. When I just about to get off from the tram, I nearly FALL! Oh my God. Fortunately, grandma that sat next to me catch my hand so I did not fall.

On my way back to hotel, I planned to go to halal mart to buy mineral water. In my mind, I want to buy 1.5 liter mineral water. BUT. Do you know what? The store only have 500 ml water or FIVE liter water. So, I bought the 5 liter water and walked about 650 meters to hotel, while carrying 5 liter water. Suddenly workout.

The story did not stop here, because I forgot my room! My room was on the second floor, but I went to third floor. My room was quite far from the elevator. Need to turn right, then turn left. So, I just walked and passed through a door. I did not remember there was a door. Turns out, it is an Emergency exit door. That's when I realized I was at the wrong floor, while carrying 5 liter water. I could not open the door. Oh my God. Quite panic for a while, then decided to take the stairs to the lobby. I left my 5 liter water. Luckily, it was only third floor. At the lobby, I went straight to the elevator and went up to the third floor. I need to take my 5 liter water. I blocked the emergency exit door with my bag, not to repeat the same mistake. Then, I took the elevator again to the second floor. I turned right, then turned left. Yeah, this is the right path. I stand in front of my room door. Inserted the room key, tried to open the door, and FAILED. WHAT??? (In case you are wondering, I only brought my room key. The room number is on the sleeve, and I did not bring the sleeve)

Is it not my room? Is my room the next room?

So, I simply tried to open the next room. Inserted the key, tried to open the door, and SUCCEED. But, THIS IS NOT MY ROOM!!!

(I hope) the room is empty. I AM SO SORRY.

I don't know why this happened. Jetlag? Dehydration? Both?

Finally, I went to the receptionist to ask my room number. The receptionist was very nice. He is from Egypt. He is my savior. And you know what? My room number is right. But why the key did not work?

I went upstairs and tried to open the door again, and failed again. WHY???

I went back to the receptionist again. In the receptionist, there was an Asian man, asking the same question. Why the key did not work. The receptionist explained, insert the key, release the key, and open the door. Don't open the door before you release the key. Ah, lesson learned! When it is my turn, I have the same problem with him. Thank you.

FINALLY, I can enter my room. What a LONG journey.....


(to be continue...)

It is already past midnight, and I just finish my first day in Munich. I think I need to write again tomorrow. That's all for now. Bye bye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MIKE !

Talk to who???? Deleted soon.

Teman Naruto